Party Wall Building Owner

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996


Are you planning on undertaking some building works which could fall under The Party Wall etc. Act 1996?

The following are typical examples of works which could be covered by the Act:-

  • Excavation works for an extension within three metres proximity of a neighbouring property or shared structure.
  • Cutting into the party wall to insert beams for a loft conversion.
  • Removing chimney breasts on a party wall.
  • Underpinning a party wall for a basement extension.

If you are planning to undertake one of the above works, under the Act you are referred to as the “Building Owner”.  The Act states that it is necessary for a Building Owner to serve notice on any Adjoining Owner who may be affected by the works.


The Adjoining Owner will then have three options when responding to the notices:-

  1. Consent to the works.
  2. Dissent to the works and appoint their own Surveyor to act as the Adjoining Owner’s Surveyor.
  3. Dissent to the works and appoint the Building Owner’s Surveyor to act as the Agreed Surveyor.


With options 2 and 3 above, a Surveyor or Surveyors must be appointed so that the dispute can be resolved by way of a Party Wall Award.


If we can be of assistance or you require further information regarding the Act, please do not hesitate to contact one of our Chartered Building Surveyors on 020 8858 3377.

Enquire Here

Please enter a valid email address!