Party Wall Adjoining Owner

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996

Have you received a Party Wall Notice from one of your neighbours?

If the answer is “yes”, this is because one of your neighbours is planning to undertake works which fall within the scope of The Party Wall etc. Act 1996.

The following are typical examples of works which could be covered by the Act:-

  • Excavation works for an extension within three metres proximity of a neighbouring property or shared structure.
  • Cutting into the party wall to insert beams for a loft conversion.
  • Removing chimney breasts on a party wall.
  • Underpinning a party wall for a basement extension.

As Adjoining Owner, you will have 14 days in which to respond to the Notice with one of the following options:-

  1. Consent to the works.
  2. Dissent to the works and appoint your own Surveyor to act as the Adjoining Owner’s Surveyor.
  3. Dissent to the works and appoint the Building Owner’s Surveyor to act as the Agreed Surveyor.

With option 2 and 3 above a Surveyor or Surveyors must be appointed so that the dispute can be resolved by way of a Party Wall Award.

If we can be of assistance or you require further information regarding the Act, please do not hesitate to contact one of our Chartered Building Surveyors on 020 8858 3377.


Enquire Here

Please enter a valid email address!